Volunteers play a key role in our mission to provide the highest quality of end-of-life care for all in the North Okanagan.
If you are interested in volunteering at NOHS, we invite you to fill out an Expression of Interest Form (to download the form, click on the form link and save it to your computer).
Please forward your completed form to Tanya Stilborn, Support Services Leader, at [email protected].
Volunteer Information Sessions
Volunteering with Us
Volunteers are an essential part of our team. Hospice relies on the support of caring and compassionate individuals to help ensure our residents and their families receive the utmost level care.
NOHS welcomes volunteers who are interested in:
- Bringing comfort and companionship to our residents and families
- Be a Nav-CARE volunteer who visits people with a serious illness in their home
- Kitchen and meal support
- Providing office and reception assistance
- Helping with fundraising activities
- Nurturing our beautiful gardens
- Supporting our maintenance team
Orientation and Training
We offer a comprehensive training program to ensure that volunteers are fully prepared for their role in our organization. The fee for this training is $70 which includes training materials, a book and a membership to our Society.
Once participants have attended an orientation session and wish to apply to the Volunteer Program, all potential volunteers will successfully complete:
- a pre-training interview
- a criminal record check
- provide two satisfactory personal references from persons not related to them
Our next volunteer information session will be:
- Tuesday, August 10 from 6:00 - 7:30 pm in person meeting at Hospice. Limited seating available due to physical distancing so an RSVP is required in advance.
To register for this session, please email: [email protected] by August 6, 2021.
Upon acceptance to our volunteer program, new volunteers are required to attend an 22-hour training course (six sessions).
The course will take place on:
Thursday, Sept 16 & Friday, Sept 17: 6:00 -9:00 pm and Saturday, Sept 18: 9:00 am - 2:30 pm;
Thursday, Sept 23 and Friday, Sept 24: 6:00 -9:00 pm and Saturday, Sept 25: 9:00 am - 2:30 pm
Volunteers are expected to attend scheduled training; however, make-up sessions can be arranged for prospective volunteers who are unable to make every date during the training series. Training is offered at least annually and includes the following topics:
- The difference between hospice palliative care and curative care
- Family Dynamics
- Communication techniques
- Active listening
- Overcoming cultural differences
- Understanding how spirituality and grief affect clients and families
- Grief and Bereavement
- Self-Care and Recognizing Compassion Fatigue
Those who are interested in our Nav-CARE program are required to take the Hospice Volunteer Training then there is a separate day for Nav-CARE volunteer training which will be:
Friday, October 8, 2021: 9:00 am - 4:30 pm and Friday, October 15: 1:00 - 4:30 pm.
Our Commitment to You
Ongoing training, education, supervision and appreciation are provided to all of our Hospice volunteers.
For further information on becoming a volunteer, please contact:
Support Services Leader
250-503-1800 Ext 110