Grief & Bereavement
North Okanagan Hospice Society offers a range of compassionate and professional counselling services for individuals and families facing life-limiting illness, death and bereavement.
The following services are available to residents of the North Okanagan as well as Hospice House clients and families.
Support Before Death - Anticipatory Grief Services
Our Resident Care Worker is available to support individuals and families working through grief from the time following a palliative diagnosis leading up to the death of someone significant in their life.
Support Following a Death - Bereavement Services
Our Grief and Bereavement Counsellor is available to assist individuals and families working through grief following the death of someone significant in their life.
- Currently we are offering one-to-one grief and bereavement counselling support at Hospice House or remotely when appropriate.
- Due to COVID-19, there is a screening prior to accessing in-person one-to-one counselling in-house.
- The one-to-one counselling fee of $25 is waived during this COVID-19 time however, any donation at any time is always welcome as our grief and bereavement services are based on fundraising efforts each year.
- One-to-one grief counselling is available by appointment. Anyone can refer counselling clients to us.
Please note that we serve adults age 19 and up, who experience loss due to death and who do not experience complex mental health and/or concurrent issues.
Finding My Way: Coping with Grief group sessions are held twice annually, in the spring and fall.
Due to COVID-19, we have not planned a support group at this time. Normally our group sessions run for eight consecutive weeks. Please watch our website here for more information on future sessions.
- Sessions are held in the evenings.
- The group provides a safe place for adults experiencing grief due to the death of a loved one. Participants will be introduced to the definitions of grief and mourning, discuss ways that grief affects people differently, and identify ways of getting through a time of loss and transition.
- All interested individuals will be invited to meet with the Grief and Bereavement Counsellor prior to registering for the group to determine their current needs and readiness.
"The grief counselling that my family has received and is receiving has been invaluable to us to overcome our loss. Without it we would have been truly lost."
For more information on our grief and bereavement services, call Panadda at 250-503-1800 ext 200 or email [email protected].